Posted by: Aniek
Here at Train You Trim, we’re big believers in making healthy choices as easy as possible to make. This means we are even happier bunnies when simple (sometimes undetectable) changes add to the nutritional density of our food (more bang for your buck, nutrient-wise!) in a big way!
Almond Coconut Cauliflower Rice
This is the perfect accompaniment to any kind of cooked meat/fish with some Thai flavours!
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets and place in the bowl of your food processor
- Pulse a few quick times (about 5 to 10) until it resembles the texture of rice
- Toast the coconut and almonds in a dry pan set over medium heat; remove to a plate when golden and fragrant
- Add the coconut oil to a pan and cook the onion with the salt and pepper until fragrant and slightly translucent, about 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a measuring cup or small bowl, mix the coconut milk and water
- Add riced cauliflower, garam masala, ginger and curry powder to the pan, followed by coconut milk, lime juice and finally the toasted coconut and almonds
- Mix well and continue cooking for an additional 4 to 5 minutes, until cauliflower is cooked but remains somewhat firm and cooking liquid is completely absorbed
- Serve piping hot
Et voilà! You’ve upped the veggie count in your meal and snazzied up your rice-replacement!
Let us know if you try it!